Thursday, November 19, 2009

I Love Nature

I just bought a new plant from ikea. It's a Neanthe Bella Palm. I'd never owned a plant before, which I've come to regret, because plants can liven up a room in a way that is unmatched by even the best decoration. It's so refreshing to see something green and lush and healthy when all that is outside is turning brown and hardening for the winter.

I'm so thankful for nature. As an avid hiker, camper, and explorer I adore the outdoors. Not like a tree-hugging, granola-eating, hippie liberal, wack job does. I certainly don't cry when a tree is cut down, but I've come to realize that - for the sake of my well-being - I need an escape every once in awhile into the twisting vaults of a sandstone canyon, the sparkling turquoise of an alpine lake, or that point where the endless blue of the sky meets the naked peak of a mountain. Nature brings to mind a sense of peace, wonder, and reverence that does wonders for my health, mentally and physically. I'm thankful to live in a state where the landscape is so varied, and I'm thankful to God for creating it all this way.

Here's to exploring National Parks we've never been to, hiking to heights we've never seen, and swimming in water we never knew could be so cold.

-Barry

3 comments:

  1. Hey! I kind of resemble one of those tree-hugging, granola-eating, hippie liberal, wack jobs. Well...kind of...I'm not so extreme that I mourn the death of trees...

    But seriously, I approve of this post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wanted to say something clever about the fern not looking so natural with the computer next to it.

    However, the awesome picture gave me pause..Pause.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now you have a Christmas tree.. just add a few decorations and it's done!

    ReplyDelete